Number of online users in last 3 minutes

Friday, May 04, 2007

Looking back, 10 years ago


It has been 10 years since my letter to the Philippine Star was published in the said broadsheet. It was the first time that a written work of mine was seen in a widely circulated print medium. I know I kept a clipping of this article, inserting it in our huge, antique Merriam-Webster Dictionary, but unfortunately, I couldn't find it anymore.

As a young teenager then, I wrote about being open about accepting money, specifically P500.00, in exchange for voting for a presidential candidate in 1998. "Of course I will accept the money!", I wrote. "Anyway, no one will know if I really voted for that candidate."

Today, at age 28, I ask myself the same question of whether or not to vote for a candidate in exchange for 500 bucks. I could not answer with the same conviction as before. Yes, I can still get away with the money while having the freedom to vote for my chosen bets, but thinking again, if I keep on accepting these bribes, I am not contributing to putting a stop on this vote-buying culture we have in Philippine politics.

2 Comments:

Blogger THE ANiTOKiD said...

Very well said...

May 07, 2007 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyway your vote wouldn't have been the determinative one. Everyone should think about the country politics, otherwise nothing will change.

August 30, 2007 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home